Monday, September 13, 2010

Casting On

   About 7 or 8 years ago I attempted to teach myself how to knit.  From a book.  With illustrations.  This was before the time of youtube and amazingly in depth knitting tutorials from vloggers/teachers extraordinaire like The Knit Witch (http://www.youtube.com/user/theknitwitch).  Needless to say, it was a long and rather confusing process.  With no knitters in my family or circle of friends, I was all by my lonesome in my pursuit of knitting greatness.  Or mediocrity.  I would have settled for mediocrity after my tenth attempt at a scarf that just kept getting wider and wider with unintentional yarn over increases throughout.  After far too long I was finally able to finish my generic knit scarf... and shortly after got stuck because I couldn't even figure out how to purl.

  I put away my new-found passion for a couple of years until the bug bit me again, and I once again tried to teach myself, this time with a few other people and the help of the internet.  I was much more successful the second time.  Ever since then I've been knitting and trying new things, and I don't think I will ever stop.  So far I've really only attempted to knit patterns that others have created, but I'm feeling bold, and will try to create some of my own this year.  This is the story of my journey from knitting mediocrity to knitting greatness (or something like that).

1 comment:

  1. this is the most fun idea, and i am ready to follow, my lady :)

    knit on!

    ReplyDelete